The opening of a high school at the NBP Reservation was conceived by then NBP Director Edilberto B. Misa and other ranking officials of the Bureau of Prisons to accommodate the clamor of the Bureau employees high school- age dependents who found difficulty in going to schools in Manila or Laguna due to distance and transportation problems after the Japanese occupation.
On July 17, 1945 a letter requesting for the opening of a public school within the reservation area was sent to the Office of the Secretary of Instruction and Information. Such request was immediately approved, establishing the Muntinlupa High School on August 3, 1945.
Undersecretary Florentino Gayco of the Office of Public Instruction instructed Division Superintendent Vicente Garcia to organize the school with two teachers to start with Mr. Cesar S. Tiangco was sent to the Prison reservation to organize classes. A fixed rate of P100 per student was also approved on a P10 monthly basis, as a means of maintaining the proposed school.
Classes were first held on August 5, 1945 headed by Mr. Cesar S. Tiangco, the first school principal, in a shop of the prison construction section that served as a school building for ten years.
With the school population growing steadily due to enrollees from nearby barrios, the then Superintendent Javier recognized the need for the school to have its own site. In 1951, it was then Superintendent of the New Bilibid Prison Dr. Alfredo M. Bunye who fostered the development of the vast site where the school now stands, a 10.5 hectare lot reserved for the high school by the Secretary of Justice that time. The construction of the new school building was done through prison labor and was inaugurated on August 6, 1955 with Governor Isidro Rodriguez and Director of all Public Schools, Benigno Aldena as principal guest. Thus, in the school year 1955-1956 there were two sections in the first year, three in second year, one in third year and two in fourth year.
At the new site, the school continue to grow in population. While the school was re-established by the Bureau of Prisons, it had somehow come to be generally accepted as a regional provincial high school on account of the provincial aid given to it and the supervisory and administrative control exercised over it by the Bureau of Public Schools, particularly the then Division of Rizal.
Muntinlupa High School was integrated with the Division of Pasay City, Fourth District, Metro Manila in 1977.
Muntinlupa High School then became Muntinlupa National High School upon approval of the congressional bill stating that the school be converted into a national secondary school in 1977. This status was recognized by the then Ministry of Education and Culture Secretary Juan Manuel and the then Deputy Budget Commissioner Agcaoiuli on January 1, 1978. Muntinlupa National High School was under the supervision of the Division of MUNTAPAT (MUntinlupa, Taguig, Pateros) in 1994 and then under the Division of City Schools, Muntinlupa since 1996.
The school has two annexes, the Muntinlupa National High School-NHA Annex which was opened on July 2009 and became an independent School on Muntinlupa National High School-Tunasan Annex started on June 4, 2012.
School Heads in Succession
Cesar S. Tiangco-1945-1976
Marcela B. Ponce-1978-1991
Felix A. Balbaguio-1991-1995
Isabelita L. Montessa, Ed.D.-1995-2006
Estrella C. Aseron, Ed.D.-2006-2014
Florante C. Marmeto, Ed.D.-2014-present
Antonio B. Rocha Ed.D. 2021-present